Funded Projects & Programs
The Federal Fiscal Year (FFY) 2020-2029 Transportation Improvement Program (TIP), approved in September 2019 by SJTPO’s Policy Board, includes State and local highway projects, as well as regional, statewide, and transit programs proposed over the next 10 years. Over $1.0 billion of FFY 2020-2029 Federal and State funding is specifically identified for transportation improvements within SJTPO’s four-county region.
The FFY 2022-2031 TIP was approved by the SJTPO Policy Board at the September 27, 2021 meeting and is available for viewing purposes. The FFY 2020-2029 TIP will remain the current TIP until the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and Federal Transit Administration (FTA) approve the FFY 2022-2031 TIP.
The Transportation Improvement Program (TIP) is a list of projects and programs scheduled to be implemented over a period of at least four years (ten years in New Jersey). Transportation projects must be included in the TIP to receive most types of federal funding. The TIP provides a mechanism for locally-elected officials and agency staff to review the region’s capital programming. It represents a consensus among MPO members and other major transportation interests in the region as to what improvements should have priority for available funds.
Planning to Implementation
The TIP links the transportation planning process to implementation. Central to this process is RTP 2050, the regional transportation plan for the SJTPO region, which provides a framework for guiding investment decisions over a 20-year period. It includes both long and short-range strategies and actions leading to the development of an integrated transportation system that facilitates the efficient movement of people and goods.
Project Evaluation Process
SJTPO has a Project Evaluation Process, updated as a part of the RTP 2050 development, that is used to score and evaluate projects that are adopted as a part of the TIP and RTP. The development of this updated process revolved around two central elements, first more closely tying evaluation criteria to the Performance-Based Planning Process, RTP Goals (Planning Factors), and SJTPO Planning Initiatives. Second, a Pre-Evaluation Screening Process, which evaluates projects, not simply to passively assess the quality of the project, but actively encourage improvements to projects to better align with regional, state, and federal guidance and priorities, such as safety, Complete Streets, Environmental Justice, as well as other priorities.
SJTPO Project Evaluation Process (Adopted 7/27/2020)
Statewide Transportation Improvement Plan
The STIP serves as a comprehensive, one-volume guide to major transportation improvements planned in the State of New Jersey. It is also a reference document required under federal regulations for use by the FHWA and the FTA in approving the expenditure of federal funds for transportation projects in New Jersey. NJDOT’s approved FFY 2020-2029 STIP can be accessed on their website.
The FFY 2020-2029 electronic Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (e-STIP) is an application that provides current information contained in the STIP as the program is modified and amended.
Amendments & Modifications
Once a ten-year TIP is adopted by the SJTPO Policy Board, approved by the Governor, and the State TIP is approved by the federal government (FHWA and FTA), there are certain procedures established for making any changes to the TIP. These procedures are outlined in a joint Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the DVRPC, NJTPA, SJTPO, NJ TRANSIT and NJDOT. A document summarizing all amendments and modifications to the current FFY 2020-2029 TIP (in a chronological listing) can be found below.
TIP Amendment/Modification Tracker (Updated 7/7/2021)
Need the TIP to be Translated?
The TIP can be translated into an alternate language. To request a translation, complete the Translation Request form or email TitleVI@sjtpo.org. Please allow a 7-day time period for SJTPO to process any requests.
Where to Find the TIP and How to Request a Hard Copy
The TIP is available on this webpage for download and at participating State Depository Libraries in the region, which make major government agency documents available for viewing by the public at no cost. If, for any reason, an individual is unable to view the TIP on the SJTPO website, or at any State Depository Library in the SJTPO region, noncolor copies may be requested. Visit the PIP webpage for more details.
- Current FFY 2020-2029 TIP (2019)
- Section I – Introduction
- Section II – Highway Projects
- Section III – NJDOT Statewide Projects
- Section IV – NJ Transit Projects
- Section V – Glossary
- Appendix A – Transportation Conformity
- Appendix B – Public Comments and Response
- Appendix C – Performance Based Planning and Programming
- Appendix D – Consultation and Coordination Process
- Appendix E – Transportation Authorities and Eastern Federal Lands Projects
- TIP Project Summary Lists
- TIP Project Selection Process for FFY 2020-2029 TIP (updated 5/21/2012)
- TIP Project Evaluation Process for FFY 2022-2031 TIP (adopted 7/27/2020)
- FFY 2020-2029 TIP Executive Summary (English)
- FFY 2020-2029 TIP Executive Summary (Spanish)
- FFY 2022-2031 TIP (2021)
- FFY 2022-2031 TIP Executive Summary (English)
Reports on federally obligated funding amounts for individual projects help provide information about project delivery status during a given fiscal year. “Obligation” or federal authorization is a legal commitment: the Federal government’s promise to pay for the Federal share of a project’s eligible cost. Keep in mind that:
- projects for which funds have been obligated are not necessarily completed in the TIP program year;
- the amount of obligation in a fiscal year will not necessarily equal the total cost of the project; and
- the amount of obligated funds may vary from the amount estimated in the TIP.
- SJTPO FFY 2020 Authorized and Unauthorized Projects
- Statewide FFY 2020 Authorized and Unauthorized Projects
- NJ TRANSIT FFY 2020 Year End Report
- SJTPO FFY 2019 Authorized and Unauthorized Projects
- Statewide FFY 2019 Authorized and Unauthorized Projects
- NJ TRANSIT FFY 2019 Year End Report
- NJDOT FFY 2019 State Obligation Report
- SJTPO FFY 2018 Authorized and Unauthorized Projects
- Statewide FFY 2018 Authorized and Unauthorized Projects
- NJ TRANSIT FFY 2018 Year End Report
Contact Us with Your TIP Comments
Please fill out the form below and we will be sure to get back to you as soon as possible.