SJTPO is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
There is one employment opportunity now available through April 9, 2020.
Please note that any successful applicant must be able to provide evidence of his or her ability to work in the United States, and that where appropriate for the position, applicants may be required to submit tests and/or examinations, which are related to the job for which the application is made. Where appropriate for the requirements of the position, these tests will include a physical and/or drug test, and fingerprinting.
Assistant Planner/Engineer (Due April 9, 2020)
SJTPO is seeking a technically oriented entry-level professional for a full-time position to conduct project-oriented planning activities to support the implementation of transportation projects in the SJTPO region. The position will report to Jason Simmons, Program Manager – Capital Programming & Project Development. SJTPO anticipates the position to begin on or around the week of June 15, 2020.
The salary range is $46,000 to $52,000 (Range 5) depending on qualifications and experience. Employees may be eligible for merit increases each year upon receipt of a satisfactory performance evaluation. The SJTPO offers a full benefits package, including medical and dental insurance, optional deferred compensation plans, paid time off, tuition assistance, and membership in the New Jersey State Pension System.
- Local Project Development: The position will conduct analysis that supports the development and implementation of surface transportation projects by SJTPO-region cities and counties. Project development activities will include working with member agencies in the preparation of high-quality projects for federal funding programs.
- Capital Programming: The position will assist in the development of SJTPO’s Transportation Improvement Program (TIP). Responsibilities will include working with SJTPO member agencies to monitor and track project readiness for authorization of funding in each fiscal year. Additional responsibilities will include attending project status meetings, updating project status spreadsheets, maintaining TIP database, and assisting with the production of the biennial TIP document.
- Congestion Mitigation & Air Quality (CMAQ) Planning: This position will assist in planning and analytical duties associated with SJTPO’s congestion management and relief planning efforts. Responsibilities will include assisting SJTPO member agencies in identification of congested locations, providing emissions estimates demonstrating air quality benefits of proposed projects, and other duties associated with processing and monitoring CMAQ projects.
- Transportation Safety Infrastructure Improvement Planning: Under direction of the Program Manager – Safety Initiatives & Public Outreach, this position will assist in planning and analytical duties associated with the advancement of SJTPO’s Local Safety Program, including retrieval and analysis of crash data, as well as estimations of benefit of proposed improvements.
- Other: The position will work closely with planners and engineers at both the city and county level. Demonstration of strong technical communication skills and the ability to collaborate with project stakeholders both at in-person meetings and via correspondence is required. The position will also assist in other statewide or regional planning initiatives, including assistance with development of SJTPO’s Regional Transportation Plan (RTP). Fieldwork and travel will be required.
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Candidates must be able to demonstrate excellent written, verbal, and technical communication skills
- Ability to work independently to conduct analysis and write reports with minimal direct supervision and to work as a member of a team
- Must be well versed in using Microsoft Office, including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Proficiency with Microsoft Access is strongly desired, including experience in database management and conducting queries
- Proficiency with ArcGIS software is strongly desired, including data manipulation and analysis
- Experience with the following software is desired, but not required:
- Highway Safety Manual (HSM) crash prediction and benefit-cost analysis
- Traffic microsimulation software, such as Trafficware Synchro and SimTraffic
- Travel demand modeling software, such as Citilabs Cube
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must have a bachelor’s degree. Master’s degree is desired. Degrees may be in planning, engineering, or another subject relevant to the job, as described. Position is oriented towards a technically skilled individual; as such applicants may be asked for further information regarding technical coursework, training, or experience.
- Previous experience is not required; however, some experience relevant to the position is desirable. This can include full-time professional positions, internships, assistantships, or major projects that have vetted your ability to develop quality work, both independently and with a team.
How to Apply:
Please submit the following materials via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you may also mail materials to South Jersey Transportation Planning Organization, 782 South Brewster Road, Unit B6, Vineland, New Jersey 08361, Attn.: Jason Simmons.
- A cover letter
- A resume (no more than two pages)
- Three references that can speak to the qualifications referenced within the resume
- Example of work, which demonstrates proficiency with manipulating, analyzing, and displaying information using ArcGIS software. A brief description of the work product should be included, noting if the product was developed independently or as part of a group and if part of a group, which elements were the work of the applicant
- A list of tools and software packages, etc. with which you are familiar and indicate your degree of familiarity
- Applicants with less than one year of work experience should provide a copy of most recent, unofficial transcript
Posting End Date:
This posting will close on Thursday, April 9, 2020. All materials must be received within that timeframe. No application materials received after that date will be considered.